The CEFR Levels - From beginner to pro
ElaN Learning employs this standardised method of assessing a person's language skills. Plus we added our own level: A0, for absolute beginners with no knowledge whatsoever of the language in question. This gives us a fuller and more realistic picture of the situation.
Learn about the different levels on this page. Or read our extensive explanation.
Basic user | Waystage
- can understand sentences and frequently used expressions about matters of immediate relevance (personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment);
- can communicate on a simple level about familiar and routine matters;
- can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and various needs.
Independent | Vantage
- can understand the main ideas of a complex text;
- reacts with a degree of spontaneity and fluency that makes interactions with native speakers possible without strain;
- can write a clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects;
- can explain a viewpoint and give the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Proficient | Mastery
- can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read;
- can summarise information from different spoken en written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation;
- can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning.
Do you have further questions about your job applicants' and employees' language levels?
More blog posts